Bookmark and Share

Web Board

The New Ticket To Work Program - What’s in it for Young People
May 3, 2010

Welcome to the Web Board! If you have a question or a comment, please send it to the presenters using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posted on May 4, 2010  11:04pm ET:

Sallie Rhodes - Well, I can tell you hearing the webinar was fun and I did get some more compliments on the book "JOBS! For the people hardest to serve . . ." To make it really easy to find/access/get, anyone can call The WorkPlace Ca at 714/972-2605 and we'll help them with the order of a copy. Regards again, John Janda

Response from Teri Blankenship:

Thank you for your comments and resource.

Posted on May 4, 2010  12:21pm ET:

Additional exmples of impairment-related work expenses that SSA allows as a deduction provided by Sallie Rhodes.

Response from Sallie Rhodes:

IRWEs: A few examples of Impairment-Related Work Expenses are: transportation costs (e.g., driver assistance, taxicabs required because of your disability), attendant care services needed to perform in a work setting, medical devices (e.g., wheelchairs, dialysis equipment, etc.), prosthesis, etc. The idea is that these are costs that are incurred in order to work. SSA has provided several free services to provide you with timely and accurate information about Work Incentives such as IRWEs. 1. The Social Security “Red Book” provides a summary of the various employment supports (referred to as Work Incentives) that SSA offers for individuals with disabilities under the SSDI and SSI programs. The “2010 Red Book” can be down loaded at 2. General questions about the various Work Incentives programs that SSA offers should be directed to the Work Incentive Information and Referral Center (WIIRC) at MAXIMUS by calling 1-866-968-7842 (voice) or 1-866-833-2967 (TDD). 3. If you have questions about how a particular job will likely affect your disability benefits, contact the local Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) program. Find the WIPA serving your area by visiting, and clicking on “Service Provider Directory.”

Posted on May 3, 2010  3:01pm ET:

Sally Rhodes webinar was excellent. She referred to a book about work being a stage & mentioned the authors's name but I didn't have time to write it down. I may want to purchase the book since I plan to provide a similar overview to our youth group and their parents & possibly at our area BOCES to transition aged youth & their parents at some point. Thanks! Thanks in advance.

Response from Sallie Rhodes:

I believe the name of the book is JOBS! For the People Hardest to Serve" The author is John Janda from The Work Place in California. If you can't find the book on line, you can contact John at: Sallie Rhodes CESSI Ticket to Work Program Specialist

Posted on May 3, 2010  2:55pm ET:

My son is autistic and needs a job coach for an extended period. His OT is not sure that he will be able to hold a job without someone working alongside him. Where do I find such a service for my son? He very much wants to work.

Response from Cathy:

I am assuming you are working with your local Department of Rehab Services. They will help you and your son put together a plan for employment (IPE) at which time the services your son needs will be addressed. Many Rehab offices contract out with service providers who provide more intensive services. I encourage you to contact DRS in your region as the first step.

Posted on May 3, 2010  2:44pm ET:

How do we get the CEU/Certificate?

Response from Teri Blankenship:

To receive crcs (free) and you want to view the PEATC series, you can wait until the last one is aired. Then send me an email, requesting crcs for the series and include your mailing address. CEUs are $25, and you must watch the entire series to receive CEUs. Thanks, Teri

Posted on May 3, 2010  2:34pm ET:

In future, please send us installed adobe flashplayer to attend webinar.

Response from Teri Blankenship:

Hi: This is a good suggestion. We do post the link on the webcast page, but it would also be helpful to include it in the emails.

Posted on May 3, 2010  2:32pm ET:

Can you please give some exmples of impairment-related work expenses that SSA allows as a deduction?

Response from Cathy:

Great question. The Social Security website has a very good explanation and gives lots of example. I've posted the link below. For my son who is working we've been able to claim job coaching fees and sometimes attendant care to help him get to work. Sally do you have some thoughts to share?

Posted on May 3, 2010  1:54pm ET:

I do not have adobe flashplayer to attend webinar. Please email me material. Thanks. Kamlesh

Response from Cathy Healy:

Kamlesh, If you will forward the request to me, I will be sure to send a copy of the power point. Thanks.

Post a Question or Comment

Please type your question or comment below, and then click the Submit button to send it to the presenters. Your question/comment will appear on this page, along with the presenter's response, after the presenter responds.

The question / commment field above cannot be left blank.

(Optional) Your email:

Your email address is optional, but if you provide it, you will receive an email when the presenter responds to your question.
You must click to place a checkmark in
the box labeled "I'm not a robot" above.