Homeless Veterans and the Criminal Justice System: New Developments and other resources
by Stephan Haimowitz, J.D.
Available formats: PDF
After serving their country, many Veterans flourish, but many others struggle. This has long been true -- what has changed is our knowledge of the problems vets face.
- Over 1 in 3 Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans who enrolled in the VA health system between 2002-08 received a mental health diagnosis, most often PSTD or depression (Am Jour of Public Health, 2009)
- About 1 in 4 Veterans ages 18-25 met criteria for substance abuse disorder (1.8 million people) (SAMHSA, 2006)
- A large numbers of Veterans are in the criminal justice system (probation-399,300, local jail-72,600, state & federal prison-156,100, parole-75,000) (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2007)
- Diversion & recovery
- Veterans Courts
- Initiatives of the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration
- The Federal Bonding Program
- The Work Opportunity Tax Credit