Toward a national agenda for supported employment
by Wehman, P. & Kregel, J.
Toward a national agenda for supported employment.
Presents a national agenda for supported employment for adults with developmental disabilities. The first part presents a historical overview of the progress made in advancing employment opportunities for persons with mental retardation in integrated, community settings, noting that a considerable gap remains between what can be achieved and what has been achieved. The second part suggests five goals the authors feel are necessary to fulfill the initial promise of supported employment:
- expanding the number of people participating in supported employment,
- promoting consumer choice in supported employment,
- realizing the full implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act,
- achieving the conversion from segregated to integrated employment, and
- expanding the number of qualified supported employment personnel.