Make a Referral
Make a Referral
Thank you for your interest in working with Business Connections of VCU!
We accept referrals from the Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) as well as the Department for Blind Visually Impaired (DBVI). We are happy to connect you with the appropriate agency in your area to secure funding for you to receive our employment supports. Please contact Rachael Rounds, Business Connections Program Manager for additional information about our services and funding options.
DARS and DBVI counselors are welcome to complete the Referral Form linked below and fax or email it to:
- Persons must have a severe disability. Time Limited/Job Coach Training Services are available for people who need or desire less intensive services. Situational vocational assessments are available to participants in both services for those who desire general career exploration.
- Persons served should be willing to work within the City of Richmond and the surrounding counties (i.e., Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover), Fredericksburg, or Warsaw. Persons who reside outside this radius are accepted for services if funding is made available. Whenever the person is referred from outside of the general catchments area, the program strongly encourages the referring counselor to also become involved in job placement activities in order to reduce service cost.
- Individuals served must be eligible for Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) funding and services. If you are not currently working with DARS we will assist in developing a collaborative relationship.
- Usually individuals are not employed at the time of referral; however, there are exceptions. Examples of when someone who is already employed may be referred for services include: the person is experiencing difficulties at work and intervention may alleviate the problems and increase longevity on the job, the person is underemployed and desires new employment, or the person will be laid off from work.
- Services will not be denied to anyone based on race, gender, age religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability. Business Connections at VCU is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution.
- Business Connections reserves the right to decline services if staff, in coordination with DARS, identifies that an individual or family member is non-compliant and/or displays behaviors that might be violent, dangerous, threatening, or harassing.
- Waitlists are not maintained at VCU Business Connections, but are established at the local referral source based on ability to fund services. Once funding is available we accept all referrals.
We work in collaboration with the individual, support team, and DARS to determine transition to additional services.
Individuals exit the program when:
- DARS chooses to discontinue services
- The individual chooses not to continue services